The Dragon's Den

The Student News Site of John Dewey High School

The Dragon's Den

The Dragon's Den

Students Bring Back the Theatre Program!

The theater program is making a comeback! After last year’s events, many thought the program was doomed. Currently, Dewey is without a theater teacher. With no theater teacher, who will lead it? The answer? Students.

Jaden Scantlebury a senior here at Dewey, assembled a group of junior and senior students and held a meeting with Principal Adelle in early October. But why was this needed?

Last year, the theater program had established an expectation for what was to happen in the coming years. There was an improv show put on by the troupe, “the Dragon Slayers”, that sadly ended too soon. The theater program also put on a play, ‘Boeing Boeing’, with an all Senior cast. [Those who attended reported that the set and show were remarkable. This performance set an expectation for the years to come. Students who hadn’t joined last year, openly planned to join this year.

Unfortunately, those hopes were cut short, as our previous theater teacher is no longer working at JDHS. Digital Art teacher, Ms. Hooker is trying to keep it alive with her technical theater club. As great as that is, students involved with theater at Dewey feel that this is not enough to sufficiently replace the hole created by the absence of a theater teacher/program. But with no one to advocate for a new theater club, what else could be done?

Tyra Todd
JDHS Improv Troupe (2022-2023)

That’s when Scantlebury came in. Reflecting on his advocacy efforts, he said “My friends were complaining about the fact that the new concept of theater is [bad] and it sucks and not at all aiming to what they want to do.” So he brought together a group of like minded students and together they pitched their idea to Principal Adelle.

Arlite Dyasi
Boeing Boeing cast (2022-2023)

“When meeting with the principal it was very inspiring.” Senior Elise St. Bernard said, “During the meeting she and her assistant principal broke it down nicely and let our voices be heard.” Elise was one of the students who advocated to bring back the theater program. “Jaden approached me excitedly about his idea especially because he knew I’d be interested. He told me about his idea of starting a new theater club because we both knew the theater club was an important part of our school and a lot of people were looking for a place to put their talent.”

St. Bernard was one of the students involved in last years theater program. She was part of the improv troupe and was a crew member in last years production of “Boeing, Boeing”. She was very involved and that’s why she’s so excited to start this new student led theater program

Many students have worried that this year there, but that’s not the case. “I want the [students] to have a voice and let me know what they want out of this club.”  Jaden said. “I want them to speak up on what kind of shows they want to put on and make it as inclusive as we can.”

Scantlebury and company are bringing back the theater program for the better, and with it- a more productive and welcoming environment within the arts.

Donate to The Dragon's Den

Your donation will support the student journalists of John Dewey High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Dragon's Den