The Dragon's Den

The Student News Site of John Dewey High School

The Dragon's Den

The Dragon's Den

College application tips

Seniors: here’s everything you need to do before the college deadline
Stanley Morales

It’s the event that makes senior year stressful for most students here at John Dewey. Applying to college is one step closer to stepping into the real world and becoming adults. So it’s goodbye to school music bell, teachers, and high school and hello to professors and university. For those interested in pursuing a higher education after high school know that they must complete their college application, they should also be aware that the deadline is right around the corner. Here are three tips to make this process smoother and quicker.

1. Make a list on the schools you wish to apply

This is something teachers recommend up-and-coming seniors to do over their summer break. Many create a list of schools they wish to attend and then do research if they have the major they are interested in, have the requirements they want, and their tuition cost. By doing this over the summer you’re making your life more easier in the future, because by the time applications open, you already have the schools you want to apply and can just focus on applying to those schools.

2. Keep deadlines in mind

Now you might notice there are many admission choices in your application, such as, early decision, early action, and regular admission. Now what exactly are these choices.

Well, early decision is a binding commitment to a university you apply to. Meaning that if you apply to a school with early decision and get accepted into that school, then you have HAVE to attend that school and can forget about other college acceptances. When apply for early decision your chances might slightly increase, with them seeing your committed to them, and  get your results quicker, but your applications is due much earlier, like October and November. You are only eligible to apply to one university, so your dream school or first choice of institution, with this process or else you’ll have a problem in your hands if you get accepted into two schools with early decision.

As for early action, its deadline is also earlier, around November, and you do receive your results faster. But unlike early decision, this is not a binding commitment to the college, you’ll have a few months to make up your mind and accept their acceptance. So, you can apply to as many schools you like under early action.

But keep in mind that every school has different deadlines for those different choices. And if you want to apply under that choice make sure you get everything completed before that day.

Take Lesvy Amantectal, a John Dewey High school senior, as an example, “It’s important to keep deadlines in mind to not only turn in my application on time but to not miss out on opportunities that colleges offer. For instance for SUNY, CUNY, and some private schools they offered until the end of  October to submit your application with a fee waiver. I organized the college deadlines on my calendar to help me stay on task and make sure I get everything done before that day. ”

3. Complete your personal statement/essay

Almost every college application requires a personal statement from you. This is an essay that is meant to help the college admission office get to know you better than what your transcript or extracurriculars reads. This essay is no simple matter, and should not be left last minute.

Teachers like David Personette highly encourage seniors to start their first draft near their end of their junior year. “Starting your personal essay during your junior year allows students time to perfect their essay without having to stress about it their senior year.”

After your first draft or two many teachers and counselors recommend to get a second opinion on your personal essay. It’s an opportunity to get feedback from someone who doesn’t know you just like a college counselor will read it as. This way you can see what you need to include or delete on your essay to make it perfect.

Once you have your personal essay completed you’re almost ready to start applying to colleges through common app.

Completing college applications are never easy but hopefully these three tips  make your senior year as smooth as it can be. 

Donate to The Dragon's Den

Your donation will support the student journalists of John Dewey High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Dragon's Den