The Dragon's Den

The Student News Site of John Dewey High School

The Dragon's Den

The Dragon's Den

Excitement Builds as John Dewey High School Gears Up for Winter Table Tennis Season

The boy team table tennis practices for their upcoming games. Photo from johndeweyhighschool.org.

As winter approaches, John Dewey High School eagerly anticipates the arrival of its seasonal table tennis teams, led by two dedicated coaches, Coach Gross for the boys and Coach Moody for the girls. In this varsity sport where the speed of the tennis ball can reach up to 25-70 mph, the school is gonna witness one hell of a show. Despite the challenges faced by the boys’ team in the previous season, marked by a lack of experience which causes a skills gap compared to other schools previously, the upcoming season promises a more competitive edge. The boys have dedicated countless hours to practice in the school cafeteria which is where the practice is being held after school, significantly strengthening their skills. The team’s roster remains undetermined, creating ample opportunities for aspiring players to try out.

Table tennis, a sport demanding precision and skill, offers a unique blend of competitiveness and casual play. The game played either as singles (1v1) or doubles (2v2), unfolds with a player serving the ball against their opponent, navigating the table and net until a point is scored. Each game reaches a maximum of 11 points, with matches determined by the best of three through five games.

Coach Gross’s commitment to extended practice sessions instills confidence in the boys’ team, fostering an environment for improvement compared to the previous year. Also, alongside an ample environment to play in, the team welcomed previous table tennis players like last year’s doubles, Jia Hao and Ivan Chen to help teach new players the ways of table tennis. On the other side of the court, the girls’ team stands promising with a history of success in the records according to the Public School Association League (PSAL), boasting a 7-5 victory last season due to having many talented female players. This year, Coach Moody strategically positioned Sophia in the singles 3 spot, due to her experience from previous varsity teams similar to table tennis which was the badminton varsity. With experience and skill in the competitive scene, Sophia Shi would give an edge to the girl’s new roster. 

The team would usually have practice multiple times during the week after school. Dates of practice usually vary due to managing with other clubs for space as well. On usual days, Practice is set on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 2:30-4:30 pm. Practice days witness both teams dedicating themselves to improvement, adhering to the rules and techniques that define table tennis. New players absorb the basics while following the established rules, contributing to the overall team development. The morale within both teams remains moderate to good as they progress through the season. In addition, boys and girls are allowed to play against each other as it allows both sides to learn and become better individually as a player which gives another edge for the upcoming season. 

Sophia Shi, the new singles 1 player for John Dewey High School, shares her feelings about joining the team: “I’m worried and nervous because it is my first time joining the team. I think we will be able to make it into the playoffs because last year we did it. Yeah, I’m prepared for the season as I am practicing during the weekends and I’ve received a lot of help from my teammates.”

In the pre-season practice sessions, less experienced players benefit from the guidance of seasoned teammates, narrowing the skill gap and creating a stronger team. Both coaches facilitate an open space in the school for training, contributing to the team’s overall improvement.

Beyond physical practice, motivation and dedication emerge as crucial factors for enhancing overall gameplay. Members acknowledge that motivation acts as a driving force, propelling individuals to strive for continuous improvement. 

On the boy’s side, according to a 2-year experienced player, Sui Ming stated: “Although our current team may not be up to par with the girls or other school teams at the moment, I’m sure that if we continue training with motivation, dedication, and hard work, we should be able to reach for the playoff during this year’s season”.

During the upcoming season, both teams would face a variety of teams from various other High schools, including James Madison, Edward R Murrow, FDR, Lafayette, and Tottenville. As the season approaches, questions linger about the teams’ preparation and physical readiness for the challenges ahead.

Coach Moody expresses optimism about the girls’ team as he states, “I believe the girl’s team this season will do well. They have performed well and practiced to their best ability within a limited time period. Now it all depends on their mental performance as well close near the start of the season” 

Coach Moody is emphasizing their strong performance and dedication in the limited time available. The mental performance of the team becomes a focal point as the season draws near.

With the rosters for both teams set to be determined around December 20th, 2023, the call for new talent has been known throughout the school as posters have been hanging out around the school hallway. Freshmen to juniors are encouraged to try out for the sport, with the added incentive of earning varsity credits, a valuable asset for college applications. Students who want to participate can seek more information from Coach Gross and Coach Moody.

While table tennis may initially appear complex, the primary goal of both teams is to have fun, enjoy their time at John Dewey High School, and make lasting memories on the table tennis court.

Donate to The Dragon's Den

Your donation will support the student journalists of John Dewey High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Dragon's Den