Girls take volleyball season by storm

Emely Ou Feng

Senior Natae Kidd poses before one of the last volleyball practices of the season.

Musiur Rahman, Contributor

John Dewey High School’s volleyball season has come to a close, and for senior Natae Kidd, it was a season to remember. Kidd, who played as the team’s outside hitter, shared her perspective on the team’s performance and her personal growth as a player.

When asked about the team’s overall performance this season, Kidd was quick to highlight the team’s strong work ethic and dedication. “I think we all came together really well and put in a lot of hard work,” she said. “We had a lot of new players on the team this year, but everyone was willing to work together and help each other improve.”

Kidd also praised the team’s coaches for their support and guidance throughout the season. “Our coach was always there to help us when we needed it,” she said. “They pushed us to be our best, but they were also understanding when we had a bad game or needed some extra help.”

Despite the team’s hard work and dedication, the season was not without its challenges. Kidd acknowledged that the team struggled with consistency throughout the season, but she remained optimistic about their progress. “We had some ups and downs, but I think we improved a lot as the season went on,” she said.

When asked about her personal growth as a player, Kidd credited her coaches and teammates for helping her improve her skills and confidence. “I think I grew a lot as a player this season,” she said. “I was able to work on my passing and hitting, and my coaches and teammates helped me build my confidence on the court. However, I took most of the time preparing myself mentally because of how little playtime I’ve got during games last season. it’s a totally different feeling being on the court and mentally in the game, than being on the sidelines watching. I had to prepare myself mentally to focus, and to keep my calm in case I messed up and to learn to move on when I did.”

Kidd also highlighted the importance of being a leader and mentor to her younger teammates. “It’s good as an upperclassman to show empathy and let the newer players and the underclassmen understand that I was in the shoes literally last year,” she said. “I want to be there for them and help them grow as players, just like my teammates and coaches helped me.”

Overall, Kidd looks back on the season with pride and a sense of accomplishment. “I think we all worked really hard and improved a lot as a team,” she said. “I’m going to miss my teammates and coaches, but I’m excited to see what the future holds for us.”

As the John Dewey High School volleyball team looks ahead to next season, they will undoubtedly take with them the lessons and growth they experienced this season. Kidd’s perspective highlights the importance of hard work, dedication, teamwork, mental preparation, focus and leadership on the court.