A learning environment beyond the classroom

Emely Ou Feng, Staff writer

@deweyoutside
First outing on October 1, 2022

Many high schools are still recovering from the experimental year of “COVID-19 education,” where students have been sheltered and “caged” at home. Two John Dewey High School educators have created a club to introduce students to cultural events and experiences that they are often unable to take part in. 

Kathy Kong, a guidance counselor and Awashi Prempeh, a social studies teacher, announced their commitment of enriching students’ lives with entertainment opportunities. “To expose kids and take them out, so something as simple as having a bagel,” Kong said. “There are students that never had a bagel.” 

Roughly 85% of JDHS students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch in the 2020-2021 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. The low disposable income for an average Dewey student has likely restrained youth’s activities to only home and school. As a result, much of the student body has not been exposed to arts and entertainment, and have not experienced the diverse cultural offerings in New York City. 

Kong worked in the Disney industry before she became an educator, and she believed that the arts should reach a wider audience, particularly students. She has partnered with Broadway Bridges, an initiative of the Broadway League to help expose more public high school students to theater, and give students access to Broadway shows at an affordable cost. “The perception from young people is that theater is for rich people. If that’s what you think, I’ll take you to where the rich people sit,” Kong said. 

Kong and Prempeh started the “We Outside Club” in early September of 2022 to facilitate JDHS students in further exploring NYC culture. They work with the Center for Educational Innovation, Disney Theatrical Productions, and New York City Center to encourage students to sign up for outings without financial concerns. Kong and Prempeh arranged the first We Outside outing to the IMAX theater for Avatar, which originally cost around $30 dollars per ticket and was made available for free to students. The club went to Gray’s Papaya for an optional lunch afterwards with a fee of $5 dollars per student. The next planned trips for bowling and foliage quickly filled as students rushed to sign up with little to no cost.

The We Outside Club has been a great success with over 119 students signed up within the first two months after school started. The name of the We Outside Club played a critical role conveying its messages to the student community. As Mr. Prempeh says, “I came up with rather proper names… and she [Ms. Kong] responded to me, ‘come on, where’s the swag?’ Then I said ‘We Outside club.’ I think the name sells it. ”

Prempeh, a travel enthusiast and educator, created the club with the goal to prepare JDHS students for the real world. He hopes that the club supports students in need of identifying their career aspirations along with gaining an insightful perspective of their environment. He says, “That you have kids from Brooklyn that have never been to Manhattan… if they really open their minds and go out and see what’s on offer, I really think it can do wonders to their lives. ” 

Some students face strict parental control over getting outdoor experiences. Meanwhile, the involvement of We Outside Club guarantees a safe and low-cost option for trips. The club has served as a safe space for students and a platform to shape their future recently. “It’s a pretty big deal… My friends are usually not allowed to go places unless it’s for school. So the fact they can because of a school club it’s pretty nice. ” Faith Mcmurren, a JDHS junior said. 

Prempeh has suggested an improvement of students and teachers relationship on the We Outside outings. He says, “Students are able to see their teachers and staff members in a different light, not just being the educator standing in front of the class, but letting them see your hair let down.” The teachers were able to share their interests with students and establish a learning environment beyond the classroom. The acquired social and problem solving skills will positively influence both parties in approaching the subjects at school, to be confident in communicating for their needs to continue furthering their aspirations. 

Premeph anticipates to one day collect positive results that demonstrate academic progress from the groups of JDHS students who have been attending the We Outside club, such as more reported participation in their classes and better grades on their report cards. The We Outside Club aims to serve as a motivation for students both inside and outside of the classroom to actualize their vision.